A profitable streak of two video games ended and a separate twine continued.
Notre Dame, contemporary from victories in a row for the primary time this season, misplaced to No. 20 Virginia Tech 62-51 Wednesday night time. It was the Irish’s twenty eighth straight loss to a ranked opponent and misplaced their document to 5-9, with a 2-6 mark within the ACC. They made the sport’s first basket, by no means led afterwards and completed with a season low.
Listed below are some observations from the sport.
• Athletic strain protection was an issue for Notre Dame once more. Virginia Tech confronted everybody who acquired a cross within the perimeter, lived in passing lanes and efficient in altering ball screens. It stagnated the Irish offense to an off-the-dribble operation with little motion or potential to swing the ball. It was virtually equivalent to the second half of a January 10 loss to the Hokies.
• Notre Dame’s solely offense within the first half was guard Prentiss Hubb shoot the dribble or assault the breaker when a giant man was on him. He made 17 of the primary 22 halves and helped two extra. Fram Nate Laszewski – whose foul-draw potential was Notre Dame’s solely supply of factors final time in opposition to Virginia Tech – took a shot within the first half. Notre Dame couldn’t get him the ball regardless of a number of matchups with smaller guards.
• Hubb completed with 22 factors in 8-of-20 capturing, with three assists and 4 turnovers. Laszewski had 10 rebounds, however completed with simply seven factors on 3-of-4 capturing. None of his makes an attempt had been from the depths. As a complete, Notre Dame took simply 18 three-pointers, with Hubb delivering eight. The shortage of turning of ball and motion didn’t open many pure gazes from the depths.
• The final staff agrees in vital classes: 35.7 % capturing, eight assists on 20 area objectives, 12 turnovers.
• The Irish had 9 turnovers, eight area objectives and two assists within the first half. Laszewski’s solely basket within the first 20 minutes was a thump on a roll to the basket when Virginia Tech missed a defensive mission. He and Hubb mixed for seven of the 9 turnovers at halftime.
• There’s not a lot of an internal level presence for Notre Dame opponents to concern or consider double staff. Laszewski’s further energy has helped him enhance as an all-round scorer, however Virginia Tech took him away with switches and occasional protection. Fram Juwan Durham had three factors on 1-on-4 capturing, once more dealt with with one-on-one. With out having to ship assist down low, protection can stretch out and face Notre Dame’s guards.
• All in all, Notre Dame’s protection was good. The Irish prevented Virginia Tech from doing extreme injury from the bullet screens by “icing” them once they had been on the edges of the courtroom and forcing the ball driver to reject the display. They’d 4 steals, seven blocks and performed a mixture of man and zone protection. Virginia Tech averaged 0.90 factors per possession, the third straight Notre Dame opponent to remain beneath 1.0. Hokies shot 40.3 % from the ground.
• An issue space for the protection was the Hokies shooter Hunter Cattoor, who made two three-pointers on units of timeouts. Notre Dame misplaced him on a few different events. He completed with 13 factors in 4-of-9 capturing. All manufacturers had been three.
• Elsewhere, Durham made three errors within the first half (one was a price) and didn’t begin the second half due to it. When he got here in, Virginia Tech went instantly in opposition to him within the portray and scored simply. Brey ultimately put in learners Matt Zonaand Durham didn’t play the final 14 minutes. Hokies ahead Keve Aluma and Justyn Mutts was a complete of 12 out of 24 from the ground for 28 factors and 23 rebounds. Every posted a double-double.